Embodying Bone Yoga Workshop with Kate Hagerman
Name: Embodying Bone Yoga Workshop with Kate Hagerman
Date: March 11, 2017
Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM EST
The first in Kate Hagerman's three-part Embodying Bone workshop series.
It is through our lower limbs that we stand upon the earth and propel ourselves through space. The lower limbs include all bones involving movement of the legs. We will learn the anatomy of these bones and experience how they articulate structurally with each other and the vertebral column in the yoga postures.
In this Lower Limbs workshop, we will:
- Ground and articulate the feet
- Strengthen the ankles
- Awaken the spiral of the foreleg
- Align the knee by articulating the menisci and the four bones that comprise the knee
- Free the hips to relieve stress on the lower back
- Experience the relationship of the foot to the pelvis
- Explore the fluid in the bones, the marrow, and it's role in cellular breathing
In the Embodying Bone workshop series, we will discover the dynamic mobile-stability and stable-mobility that arises from the interplay between the leverage offered by the bones and the flexibility offered by the joints between them. As Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen says, "Form follows Function. As we explore, analyze and embody the structures of our bodies, we increase our understanding of the forces acting upon them that have shaped them, and we improve our ability to use them more efficiently."
Part I - The Lower Limbs - March 11th
Part II - The Upper Limbs - April 1
Part III - The Axial Skeleton - May 6