Woodstock Golf Club
The Woodstock Golf Club, originally called the Woodstock Country Club, opened in the
spring of 1929. The founders' short-lived vision of an 18-hole course, tennis courts, and
a posh clubhouse succumbed to the Depression, but the club survived—the name was
changed in 1980—and continues to thrive.
Since the beginning of the 20th century, the town of Woodstock has been known as the
Colony of the Arts. Fittingly, artists have played a prominent role in the life of the golf
club since its inception. Among the local artists who were members of the club in the
1930s and beyond were the landscape painter John F. Carlson, who was a founder of
the Woodstock Artists Association; the Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist and facetious ''
inventor'' Rube Goldberg; the influential painter Charles Rosen, who was a vice president
of the club in the early 1930s; and Anton Otto Fischer, a noted illustrator of books and
magazines and a painter of landscapes and seascapes, whose works today grace the walls of the clubhouse.
The nine-hole course today makes the same roughly circular, counterclockwise sweep,
with a back-and-forth jog in the middle, that it did in the beginning. Bounded by Route
375 (known in 1929 as the Kingston Road), Birch Lane, the Sawkill Creek, and Route
212, the course measures 5,456 yards and plays to a par 70 for 18 holes. The course was
originally designed by Ralph Twitchell.